Water Relations and Transport
Plants must have a constant supply of water, nutrients such as amino acids and sucrose, and mineral ions in order to grow healthily. Just as we have a circulatory system consisting of the heart, blood vessels and blood to move around the vital materials that we need, plants also have their own way of moving the things they need around. A plant's transport system consists of special tube-like tissues called phloem and xylem. The processes of diffusion, osmosis and active transport are used by plants to load up the xylem with water and mineral ions from the soil, and to pump sucrose and amino acids into the phloem tubes.
Prepare for your next exam - View our recommended for you page to view relevant titles for all your exams.
Curriculum and Exam Board Information
- active uptake - understand as a process involving the expenditure of energy and the transport of substances against a concentration gradient as exemplified by the absorption of ions by an epidermal cell of the root of a plant
- diffusion as the means by which gases move in and out of cells
- Factors affecting transpiration rate
- Function of water in photosynthesis and in turgor
- HOW PLANTS TAKE UP WATER AND TRANSPIRE
- know how substances are transported in plants, including food from leaves, in phloem to all parts of plants
- know how substances are transported in plants, including water and mineral salts in xylem from root to all parts of plants
- know how to use the potometer to measure water uptake
- know the factors affecting the rate of transpiration
- osmosis - as a special case of diffusion where water passes through a partially permeable membrane
- temperature, wind speed, humidity and surface area
- The role of the cell wall in limiting entry of water into a plant cell
- understand the role of water in plants, including transport, support and transpiration
There are currently no reviews of this product.You need to be logged in to review this title!
My Shopping BasketView Details
When you see a title you think is suitable, just add it to your basket and continue browsing the site. You can always review your basket's contents at any time.